Sunday 9 May 2010

Second Chances

So I’ve been thinking a lot about life, people and communication recently. Over the past month I have made a couple monumental discoveries: I cannot control most things in my life, and by that I mean that I am really only truly in control of what I do and say, and that you will very rarely get second chances. Revolutionary, I know * insert sarcastic tone here * but it’s true. I grew up as a gamer so any time I would come to a point in a game where I had to make a difficult decision or fight a hard battle, I would always save my game in case I screwed something up, that way I could reload my game and take another wack at it. Unlimited redo’s! I guess growing up is similar in a way. People will make excuses for you and give you several chances until a certain age. “He’s just a kid”, “He doesn’t know any better”, “He’s still learning”.

But when you become an adult, your excuses become very limited. You’re supposed to be figuring out this “life” thing, understand how to be people’s friend and how to communicate with them. But unlike a video game, we don’t get the same second chances in life. We can’t just reload from the save point and try that conversation over again. We can’t hit reset and attempt that battle again. I think this is something that James understood quite well and wrote about in chapter three of his epistle to the twelve tribes.

James 3 he talks about how the tongue is an unruly evil. With it we praise God and curse men. It is such a small part of our bodies, but look at the power it wields! It defiles our whole body and sets ablaze the whole course of nature. It’s really frustrating actually. I don’t struggle with vulgarity or inappropriate speech (at inappropriate times). However, I am a champ at putting my foot in my mouth and doing and saying things that, while having the best intentions, are childish and turn detrimental for me.

I guess I should be thankful though. I’m a big fan of learning from my failures so as not to fail in the same way again. But what makes this possible? I’ll tell you, it’s grace and mercy. They’re the Christian equivalent of a second chance. Just as God showed us mercy and grace in the gift of Christ’s sacrifice, we ought to show each other the same grace and mercy in our relationships and communication. If you know me at all you know I say and do stupid things sometimes, so I’m asking all of you to show me that grace and mercy. Give me that second chance.

Your tongue is a rudder.

It steers the whole ship.

Sends your words past your lips or keeps them safe behind your teeth.

But the wrong words will strand you.

Come off course while you sleep.

Sweep your boat out to sea or dashed to bits on the reef.


Brand New

Play Crack the Sky


That’s my perspective

Ben Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment