Friday 14 May 2010

The Fragility of Life

So I almost broke my neck last night. I was at this place called Jumpstreet where they have this huge warehouse pretty much lined wall to wall with the most amazing trampolines ever. You can jump incredibly high and if you’re crazy enough you can even do some pretty cool tricks and flips. Well I am just crazy enough to try a lot of these tricks, most of which I have been able to perform successfully. That is until I decided to try the double back flip.

Double front flips were a piece of cake, and I saw my friend Stephen perform a double back flip so I figured, “What’s the worst that could happen?” Unfortunately I didn’t actually stop and think about the consequences of failing a double back flip (which is strange because I’m normally a “worst case scenario” kind of guy). So I go for it and get through one flip and start the second flip when CRUNCH! I landed right on my head. My neck folded in half and I heard all my back muscles and my spine popping and stretching. My forehead may very well have made contact with my sternum (and that ain’t right!).

I immediately rolled to my feet, which looking back now was probably a stupid idea when I consider what you’re supposed to do when dealing with back and neck injuries, but I digress. Upon standing up there was an immediate throbbing pain that I’m sure will be with me for the next couple days. I started stumbling across the trampolines toward the cafeteria-style tables where I slowly collapsed on one. I knew it must have looked as bad as it felt because I had random people trying to help me and get me ice packs etc. Thankfully my brother was there, firstly to help me out and secondly to make fun of me for failing so hard (he’s not heartless, we’re brothers!).

I tried to make light of the whole situation, because really I am fine (or at least I think I am, haven’t been to the hospital or anything). I told everyone to have a good time and not to worry about me, heck, I even went and jumped for a few more minutes before deciding the pain was too much to handle. The magnitude of what had transpired didn’t fully hit me until today. I could have been paralyzed or killed. My over active imagination immediately created a several alternate realities where I had been killed or paralyzed. The imagery my mind was bombarding me with wasn’t very pleasant to behold. What if I couldn’t walk? What if I still maintained my motor skills but came out of the experience with severe mental trauma or disability? Would everything I’d been chasing after in my life have been for nothing?

But I didn’t die. I’m not paralyzed. God protected me and gave me a newfound appreciation for life. There’s so much to be thankful and appreciative for in life! Thank God for the simple things we take for granted: Color, sight, sound, aromas, air, water, food, dogs, clothes, and technology. Thank God for the things that mean the most to us: Moms, dads, brothers and sisters, acquaintances, best friends, love. I’m going to try to express my appreciation for the people in my life more often from now on, not like that annoyingly cheerful guy that you want to punch in the face, but in a way that makes them feel special and cared for. You all deserve it.


Late night, brakes lock, hear the tires squeal

Red light, can't stop so I spin the wheel

My world goes black before I feel an angel steal me from the

Greedy jaws of death and chance, and pull me in with steady hands

They've given me a second chance, the artist in the ambulance


Thrice – The Artist in the Ambulance


That’s my perspective,

Ben Peters

1 comment:

  1. Ben... You scare me... I just needed you to know that...

    Also... If I'd been there... You would have gone to the hospital.

    And I'm glad you're ok:-)

    ReplyDelete