Thursday 29 April 2010

Optimism in the Face of Adversity

I’d say that most the time I fancy myself an optimist. No matter the situations I find myself in, I can usually find something to be positive about or some glimmer of light on the horizon. I would also consider myself a very open and genuine person. I invest into all my relationships in life physically, spiritually and emotionally, and I’m all in. I don’t hold back. On the whole, I would say I’m a very trusting person and I find it easy to believe people. These are generally qualities that I think most people find desirable in a person.

There are consequences, however, to this degree of investment ranging as far as the pendulum swings (I don’t even know if that makes sense, but it does to me). When one of my friends makes some great stride in their relationship with God, I feel their joy, I experience spiritual fulfillment with them. However, when a friend or loved one falls on hard times or does something stupid, I get to experience the whole gamut of dramatic emotion. From heartbreak to marital bliss and from tears of sorrow to joyous laughter, the entire spectrum of human emotion is mine to share in. Maybe that’s what Paul meant when he wrote Romans 12:15 “Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.”

It’s hard though, when you’re the one going through the tough stuff. Having friends around to share it with is nice, but I’ll tell you what’s even better: Jesus. Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

I’ve been really stressed out lately. I was driving down the road today with all these questions reeling through my mind and I swear I heard Him say to me, “Don’t you believe that I have great things in store for you? Do you not think that I have a great plan?” Then this verse came to mind Matthew 6:33-34 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

So why do I worry? Why do I freak out?

God knows what I need. You know what I need.

Jon Foreman

Your Love is Strong

That’s my perspective

Ben Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment